Sunday, January 2, 2011

Favorite Music of 2010

2010 was a pretty good year for both music and movies, so I'll be sharing some of my favorites on here. This isn't a top ten list or anything, nor do I think this stuff is the only music worth listening to. These are just the albums I've enjoyed the most this year, all genres. Hopefully you will be able to discover something you haven't heard yet. I'll also be calling out a New York Times writer for embarrassing himself, his friends, and his family.
So, lets get this started:

(P.S. I OWN NOTHING! All media/ images are posted as a fan)


Big Boi - Sir Lucious Left Foot: The Son of Chico Dusty


Apparently this album sat on this shelf for a few years, which just goes to show how fucking stupid record companies are. I came late to the party, but don't hold that against me. This album is bogged down a little by the ever useless skits that rappers love to include, but if you ignore those you should be good. For every so-so track, there are two absolute bangers. Shutterbug and Daddy Fat Stacks are worth the price of admission alone. If Kanye West committed suicide after the gay fish episode of South Park, this would be hip hop album of the year.

Fo Yo Sorrows (featuring George Clinton, Too $hort, and SamChris)

 




 Skrillex - Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites

Skrillex, aka Sonny Moore, is the front man of the band "From First To Last", but I prefer him in this solo format. His electronic and dubstep music is insanely addictive, and this EP is usually never out of my car stereo for too long. Skrillex attacks samples like the musical equivelent of a Jack Chop. There are tunes to dance to, fuck to, murder to...it has everything! It also has what might be my favorite jam of the year, the pleasantly morbid:

Kill Everybody




Tokyo Police Club - Champ

Less raw than A Lesson in Crime, but more focused than Elephant Shell, Tokyo Police Club did not disappoint fans that had been waiting eagerly for this album, and I throw myself into that group. From the haunting and beautiful into track, Favourite Food, until the abrupt ending, this album is as close to perfection as you can find. 

Wait Up (Boots of Danger), they absolutely kill it on David Letterman



The Roots - How I Got Over


A lot of my friends are growing out of hip hop in one way or another, either by choice or by being exiled by new lame trends and the consequently shitty music. Which is a shame, because when you stop paying attention you end up sleeping on masterpieces like this. Just pick it up, throw it in, and keep your hands away from the seek button. The Fire featuring John Legend will have you bench pressing 100 pounds over your max and running five extra miles. The first actual song, I Walk Alone, is a perfect set up, like a well timed jab, while the jazzy yet dire Dear God 2.0 contains some of my personal favorite bars:
"They said he’s busy hold the line please
Call me crazy, I thought maybe he could mind read
Who does the blind lead?
Give me a sign please
If everything is made in China, are we Chinese?
And why do haters separate us like we siamese?
Technology turning the planet into zombies
"


The Fire (featuring John Legend)



***INTERMISSION***
Ok, I have to pause a moment to call out New York Times arts blogger Jon Caramanica. There are a lot of best of lists this time of year, and unlike most people, I enjoy them. I've never actually smacked my head while reading one, however, until seeing this dudes top ten (pop?) albums of the year. While I disagree whole heatedly with Rick Ross being number one, and with a mixtape being on there (wtf?), I can deal with that. But Jon, no grown man should have Justin Bieber on their top ten list. Ever. Unless of course that list is "Top Ten People I Want to Punch in the Face". This list deserves a huge C'MON MAN! Caramanica further discredits his manhood, saying, "What Mr. Bieber lacks in oomph he makes up with slickness and musical prosthetics — and, of course, magical hair." If I were friends with this guy, I don't know if I could talk to him anymore. If I were his family, I don't know if I could talk to him anymore. Justin Bieber? Jon Caramanica, smack yourself in the face, please. 
Sorry for that, lets continue...



Vampire Weekend - Contra

Not as good as their self-titled, but then again, there is no Blake's Got a New Face to make listeners insert drill bits into their ears. My only gripe, and this happens a lot, is that they throw their best punch first; no song reaches the same level of Vampire Weekend awesomeness again after Horchata. Actually, I might write a whole blog entry on "First Song Syndrome", or F.S.S. I'd say more that half the albums I listen to blow their load on the first track. Anyway, even if you want to shoot yourself every time you hear Holiday in a god damn car commercial, this album still deserves your undivided attention.


Giving Up The Gun
 


The Black Keys - Brothers

This album is an example of why MORE does not equal BETTER. This is rock music stripped to its core: gritty, raw, loose, perfect. One of my friends told me that Rubber Factory was their best album, but the only response I could muster for that would be "No fucking way". This is also a great album for those friends you have that are stuck in the past and think that there has been no quality music since Zeppelin stopped making albums.

Howlin For You


And my top album(s) of the year:

Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

Look, no one has been a bigger Kanye hater in the past than this guy. I thought South Park hit the nail right on the head. He just comes off as an arrogant prick with no self awareness, kind of like LeBron James. But also like LeBron, Kanye West is one of if not the most talented when it comes to his craft. There's a reason why I think Kanye is at another level than most, and it's evident here. You can almost see him killing himself over every detail, making sure every second of every song is utterly perfect. The result is a hip hop classic and a work of musical genius. As a bonus, the G.O.A.T. behind the boards, the RZA, shows up for some guest production. I still think Kanye is an asshole, but I guess according to the track Runaway, he does too. Chris Rock tries his best to ruin the album (and one of the best songs), but it's a minor gripe. My favorites:

Dark Fantasy

Ah, but My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is not alone at the top...

Arcade Fire - The Suburbs

Nothing I could say about this reflection on American life can really do it any justice, it should just be heard front to back. Do yourself a favor and do that.

Ready to Start




Those are the albums I highly recommend, but if you're still not satiated, I also enjoyed:

Nas & Damian Marley - Distant Relatives

Les Savy Fav - Root for Ruin

Zola Jesus - Stridulum EP

The Radio Dept. - Clinging to a Scheme

Justin Bieber - My World 2.0 (Just kidding.)

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment